- To empower, create space for, and celebrate feminine people and voices through poetry.
What do we do?
- We celebrate feminine voices by regularly holding writing workshops, open mics, slams and book releases in and around Boston Massachusetts.
- We organize an annual poetry slam tournament for four person teams comprised of feminine-identifying poets. This years and second ever multi-day festival and tournament will be held in Cambridge, MA October 18-20 2019.
- Poetry slam tends to favor masculine voices, giving higher scores to the biggest and loudest performer in the room.
- We are creating a space for ourselves, where space has not been given to perform, compete and grow through writing and activism in a way that prioritizes softness.
FEMS is a community based, grassroots initiative
that aims to be radically accessible. Radical accessibility looks like welcoming people of all ages, incomes, using venues that are wheelchair accessible, creating affinity space, using language that is gender inclusive and engaging with our community to make our spaces better. We aim to provide financial accommodations for any team that cannot afford the fees. As a grassroots initiative we rely on our community for support and hope that you will consider sponsoring a team today! This slam is being organized by queer femmes of color and accepting help lovingly from non-feminine people from the community. Check out the registration tab for volunteer and hosting forms. Email us if you would like to be on our organizing team!
Who is this for? People who identify as feminine including but not limited to Queer femmes, GNC femmes, two spirit individuals, trans femmes, trans women and cis women who identify as feminine and all the other identities feminine people hold at intersections. We do not prescribe what feminine means or subscribe to the narrow definitions of what a feminine person looks like. See our FAQs for more info and feel free to email us questions you have!
More than just a tournament this is a festival, a movement. Before, during and after the tournament we are creating space for feminine voices by holding slams, writing workshops and socials for people who want to find teammates and community. Like us on Facebook for information about our local events!
Email us for questions: email@example.com